Sunday, December 9, 2007

Why people fail in website promotion

Last night I read an article talking about Google Sandbox. It says Google may take time (6-8 months) to rank new websites (especially for popular keywords) in order to deter spammers. I heard some other search engines might have similar rules. This may be one reason why it is so hard for new websites to get good traffic.

All web pages of my website MaPaGuides (providing parenting tips to raise creative kids) were finally indexed by Google. The SEO score increased from 46 to 51 in these days (as all pages of my website focus on the same topic, the SEO score increased when more pages were indexed). But the rank of my website is still 0 in Google search results. However, some websites searched using the same keywords with lower SEO score ranked pretty high. Is this because of Google Sandbox?

In addition to such kind of Sandbox delay, search engines ranks pages based on the number and quality of inbound links. This takes time. Meanwhile, your experience and knowledge will build up. In addition, search engines love old websites. So if you can persist, you will rank your website high at last. But many new webmasters can’t tolerate such kind of time torture. They fail in the half way.

I’m always confident although my experience told me failure would follow me all the time. So far, the traffic is still very low (3-7 unique visitor per day). But there is some good progress.
1) Google finally indexed all the web pages of my website MaPaGuides. It took nearly two months. But Yahoo only indexed half of the pages.
2) More links are displayed in Google search results and SEO scores increased from 46 to 51.
3) Google already indexes this blog. It only took two days.
4) Another surprise is, some videos submitted to youtube were embedded by several other websites, which contains active links to my website. It is not my original intention. So submission of videos to youtube is a good decision, at least it can build links.



Previous Posts
> Avoid website ban
> Who master tools, who will win the battle of website promotion
> What I have done and failed to promote my website

No comments: